On November 17, Olympus announced the “M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 150-400mm F4.5 TC1.25x IS PRO”, a super-telephoto zoom lens with a built-in 1.25x teleconverter that complies with the Micro Four Thirds system standard. The price is 1,100,000 yen (tax included). It will be made to order and will be released on January 22, 2021.
A super-telephoto zoom lens with an open F value of 4.5 over the entire zoom range. It has a built-in 1.25x teleconverter and supports a focal length equivalent to a maximum of 1,000mm (35mm equivalent). When combined with the separately sold 2x teleconverter “M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 2x Teleconverter MC-20”, super-telephoto shooting equivalent to a maximum of 2,000 mm is possible. The camera shake correction function is a 5-axis synchronized camera shake correction function that achieves the world’s highest class 8-step (300 mm) correction effect. This makes it possible to take handheld shots even when shooting equivalent to 1,000 mm.
The lens configuration is 28 elements in 18 groups. By combining a newly developed large-diameter EDA lens and 4 super ED lenses, it suppresses color bleeding and flare and demonstrates excellent resolution up to the periphery. With the original coating technology “Z Coating Nano”, clear and clear depictions can be obtained even in backlit conditions.
Magnesium alloy and carbon fiber reinforced plastic (CFRP) are used for the material of the lens barrel. The lens hood is made of carbon fiber and weighs only 1,875g while ensuring strength and accuracy. Equipped with IPX1 drip-proof performance, the thermal barrier coating reflects the infrared rays of sunlight with high efficiency. It suppresses the temperature rise inside the lens and brings out stable optical performance. The front lens is coated with fluorine to prevent scratches.
Other specifications are as follows.
- Maximum shooting magnification: 0.12x (W) / 0.29x (T), x 1.25: 0.15x (W) / 0.36x (T)
- Maximum shooting magnification (35mm equivalent): 0.25x equivalent (W) / 0.57x equivalent (T), x1.25: 0.31x equivalent (Wide) / 0.71x equivalent (Tele)
- Closest shooting range: 139.5 x 104.8 mm (W) / 60.7 x 45.6 mm (T), x 1.25 o’clock 111.6 x 83.9 mm (W) / 48.6 x 36.5 mm (T)
- Shortest shooting distance: 1.3m
- Number of diaphragm blades: 9 (circular diaphragm)
- Maximum aperture ratio: F4.5 (built-in teleconverter x 1.25 at F5.6)
- Minimum aperture ratio: F22 (Built-in teleconverter x 1.25 o’clock F29)
- Filter size: 95mm
- Maximum diameter: Approximately 115.8 mm
- Length: Approximately 314.3mm
- Weight: Approximately 1,875g